Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats with Sausage
adapted from Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 (1 eggplant boat)
2 medium (15 oz each) white eggplants, stems trimmed off and halved lengthwise
3 links (8.4 oz?) sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed (I used Premio)
1/2 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/3 cups crushed tomatoes
5 basil leaves, chopped (plus more for garnish)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
4 teaspoons grated Pecorino Romano
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. Hollow out the flesh of the eggplant to create a boat using a melon
baller or small knife, leaving a 1/2-inch of the skin all around to
create a shell. Roughly chop the scooped out eggplant flesh.
4. Drop the eggplant into the boiling water and cook 3 minutes (poking it with a spoon so they stay submerged). Remove with a slotted spoon and set them on paper towels on the counter.
5. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up while it cooks into smaller pieces. Add the onions and garlic and cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add 1 cup chopped eggplant and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup crushed tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.
6. Pour 1/3 cup of crushed tomatoes on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish and place the eggplant boats on top. Season the eggplant with salt and divide the sausage and sauce evenly among the 4 eggplant boats.
7. Top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of Pecorino Romano cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes until cheese is melted and eggplant is cooked through.
Calories: 244 • Fat: 9 g • Carb: 25 g • Fiber: 8 g • Protein: 19 g • Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 678 mg • Cholesterol: 50 mg