Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk will work)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the following wet ingredients:zucchini, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract, olive oil, applesauce, egg and milk until well combined. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Even distribute batter among muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes then remove muffins and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Makes 12 muffins.
Muffins can be frozen; individually wrap muffins in ziploc bags or store them in a large freezer bag. Reheat for 30-45 seconds in the microwave or simply thaw them at room temperature.
Makes 12 Servings
Calories: 121; Fat: 3.1g; Carbs: 21.9g; Protein: 2.7g