Healthy Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Egg Burritos
Healthy Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Egg Burritos
Adapted from www.ambitiouskitchen.com
- 6 8-inch whole wheat tortillas (you can also use low carb)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- few dashes of red pepper flakes, if desired
- 6 large eggs (or 8 large egg whites)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican or colby jack cheese
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- Cook sweet potatoes: Pierce sweet potatoes with fork a few times. Place in microwave and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until cooked though. This may take up to 10 minutes depending on how thick your sweet potatoes are. Alternatively you can roast them in the oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and place potatoes in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add black beans, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes, if desired. Stir to combine then set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat eggs (or egg whites) together. Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add in eggs and cook. Fold every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- To assemble burritos, make sure you have slightly warm tortillas; it makes them easier to roll. You can warm them up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before assembling. Lay out warm tortillas and evenly distribute and spread mashed sweet potato on each as demonstrated in the video. Evenly distribute scrambled eggs, diced avocado, black beans, and shredded cheese on each tortilla. Next drizzle about tablespoon of enchilada sauce in each. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Tuck ends in, then roll up burritos.
- To warm up: Place on baking sheet in oven at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes or simply microwave them for a minute or two. Serve with sour cream, greek yogurt, salsa, or hot sauce. Makes 6 burritos. Freezer instructions are in the notes!
NUTRITION: Calories: 398kcal; Carbs: 54.3g; Protein: 18.1g; Fiber: 10.5g; Fat: 13.8g