Portabella Mushroom Burger with Avocado Chimichurri
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 1/2 red onion peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- large handful of fresh spinach
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 pieces flatbread pitas or 2 soft burger buns
- Smoked mozzarella cheese optional
1. Prepare an outdoor or indoor grill with cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil and bring to medium high heat.
2. Stem the clean portobello caps and drizzle both sides with olive oil. Season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle with the oregano. Place on the grill and cook on each side for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and grill marks appear. Add cheese to the mushroom caps if desired and cook until cheese melts.
3. Meanwhile, add a drizzle of olive oil to the red bell pepper and red onion and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a large non stick skillet on medium heat and cook the red bell pepper and red onion stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl and then add the spinach to the frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Spoon the avocado into a blender or food processor with the garlic, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice red wine vinegar and chili flakes. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
5. Warm the buns or flatbread on the grill or grill pan. Slather the avocado mixture on the bottom bun or piece of flatbread then layer with the mushroom cap, half of the spinach, red bell pepper and onions. Top with the bun and serve.